Sunday, April 15, 2007

LogMeIn Free to the rescue

LogMeIn is one of the coolest tools I've found for helping other people with their computer problems. Instead of trying to talk to them over the phone and guide them through 20 rounds of "okay, now click on the START button, okay now go to CONTROL PANEL" LogMeIn let's you take control of their computer remotely, using a web browser. Their website is here. This is the Al Haig option for fadmins (see the section labeled "I'm in control here" to resolve any questions you have about my obscure historical reference).

The free version of LogMeIn (called, appropriately enough, LogMeIn Free) does everything I need for my simple fadmin duties but it lacks file transfer capability. There is a pro version that adds that functionality.

There are plenty of other products like this on the market - do you have once you like to use?

No comments: